Penmarc'h, head for the south-western tip of the Finistère !
Penmarc'h, one of the most popular destinations in Bigouden. Make the most of your holiday in southern Finistère to visit the famous Eckmühl lighthouse, to enjoy your favourite watersport, relax on the beach, admire the preserved, wild scenery, explore the rich and varied heritage... Discover a land of seduction, contrasts and wide open spaces.
Eckmühl lighthouse, one of the most visited monuments in Finistère !
The Eckmühl lighthouse stands 60 metres tall braving winds and tides on the edge of Saint Pierre in Penmarc’h. Inaugurated on 17 October 1897, the lighthouse is built from Kersanton stone and the staircase wall is covered with opaline tiles. A listed historic monument, it is one of the most visited monuments in the Finistère ! Climb to the top and admire the breathtaking view over the bay of Audierne. If you are camping or staying in a mobile home in or around Penmarc’h in August, you can join in the « climbing the Eckmühl lighthouse world championship ». A race against time, the only one of its kind ! The record to beat is 47 seconds to climb the 307 steps !
Beaches, watersports and hiking on the coast !
The Bigouden coast is also a great playground for campers passionate about watersports such as stand-up paddle, windsurfing and surfing. The famous surfing spot « La Torche » is located a few kilometres from Penmarc’h. As for swimming, Pors Carn beach is family-friendly as is Ster beach at Kérity. The children can have fun in the waves whilst the parents soak up the superb natural surroundings. If you are a hiking fanatic, follow the GR34 coastal path from Pointe de Penmarc’h to Pointe du Raz across the bay of Audierne. The seascapes will simply take your breath away !
- Campsite Yelloh Village La Plage
- Saint-Guénolé port where you can watch the fishermen bring in their catch everyday (sardines, monkfish, cod, turbot, langoustines…).
- The traditional houses in the village, Tour Carrée and Chapelle de la Madeleine (12th – 16th century).
- Finistère museum of prehistory : collection of flint, spearheads, polished axes, ceramics, necropolis reconstructed burial sites, Armorican stele dating back to the Iron Age...
- The rocks of Saint-Guénolé a strange rock formation with evocative names (rabbit ears, the Monk, the Tortoise, the Rhinoceros, the Victims’ rock...).